Wednesday, July 6, 2011

1 Month

At one month you are:
  • Setting into a schedule.  You are sleeping a little bit better than you did right after I brought you home.  you wake up twice a night to eat, and you usually stay up about an hour to an hour and a half.  Since it is summer and your mommy is a night owl, this works out well for us.  Usually you will sleep again until about 8:30 or 9:00 before waking up again to eat.  You still have a lot of rough nights though if you do not burp right.
  • You are awake a lot more during the day.  You look at everything around you like you are comitting it all to memory.
  • Quite a traveler.  You have been all kinds of places this month and visited with so many family members and friends.  You've visited Cedar Park, College Station, Sugarland, Wharton, THE MALL (during the daytime after a doctor's appointment), Kingsland, Marble Falls, and IKEA.  
  • A Facebook star.  Everyday of your aunts, your Nana, or your Mommy posts pictures of you on Facebook, and people just go crazy over you.  You garner more comments with a funny look than I could if I said something that was a groundbreaking break through on the road to world peace.
  • Finally eating but not back up to birth weight yet.  We are getting really close though so hopefully our weekly doctors appointments will end after this week.  I am not in love with having to take you to the clinic all the time with the "sick" people, and I worry the whole time that we are there that some kid will sneeze in your face or something and infect you with some scary virus.

You love: Mommy, Daddy, Nana, Beanie, Papa, Kari,  the swing, your bouncer (especially in front of the door during "sun time"),  WATCHING TV (we have watched countless episodes of Two and a Half Men and Big Bang Theory this past month during our sleepless night sessions), listening to your lullaby CD (Thanks a million Lorie for buying that for her),

You don't care for: the dark (we spend a lot of time with light on and daddy doesn't love it), loud sudden noises, being forced to go to sleep at night, laying in your pack-n-play (it's too hard for your superior standards), being hot,  letting Mommy nap or get house work done (but I don't really mind), formula/bottles (we had to give you a few bottles per doctor's orders), or being put down if you want to cuddle.

You had your first scary road trip experience while we were visiting your great grandparents in Cedar Park.  We decided to go to Ikea to buy a shelf for your room because we have already bought you more books than will fit on the shelf above your chest of drawers.  You did great at Ikea, and you slept your way through most of the shopping trip. By the time we left, it was time for your next feeding, but you were waiting like a champ.  We get about a mile away from Ikea, and the Impala starts to overheat.  I was sitting in the back with you and Daddy and Grandma Susan were in the front seat.  Daddy turned the car off and got out to check the water level and see what was going on.  It instantly got hot in the car.  It was in the high 90s that day, but I didn't panic.  I took some wipes out of your bag and dabbed your forehead, underarms, and feet (places they say cool you off quickly).  We drove a little further down the road and the car heated back up again.  At this point, your grandma started to worry and got on the phone to call 911 or the sheriff's office so someone could come and pick us up.  GrandBob was getting off of work, but it would take him at least 45 minutes to get to us. While she was on the phone with the dispatcher telling him that we were having car problems and we had a 3 week old baby in the car, your Daddy was on his phone trying to locate the nearest gas station where we could buy antifreeze and get you out of the Texas heat.  We started the car and drove slowly and found a gas station about a mile away that Robert could meet us at.  I went in the store and told them about our car issues, and they said that I could stand inside with you.  At this point, you began to stir because we were about an hour late on feeding you.  Since you were still not up to birth weight, staying on schedule with feedings and giving you the best opportunities to eat was very important.  I started to worry that you would cry and be upset and annoy the clerks in the station.  I considered taking you to the bathroom to eat, but that seemed so dirty.  You were also still having trouble eating so we needed a better set-up.  I finally broke down and took you to the bathroom to eat.  We were getting situated when Susan knocked on the door and said Robert was there to get us. THANK GOD!  We found a parking lot nearby that it would be safe to leave the car to cool down until later that evening, and we rode with Robert in the van back to Cedar Park.  You were so excited to be back at Grandma's that night that you blew bubbles at us for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment