Thursday, June 6, 2013

A Letter to My Sweet Baby Girl

Dear Emmarie,

It is hard to put into words what a magical little person you are.  Your emotions are at times too big to really fit into your little body. 

You are tenacious.  Once you set your mind to do something, get something, or be somewhere, you will do whatever it takes to bend others' wills to yours.  There is a persistence that I see in your spirit already that shows me that you will never give up or allow someone to tell you that you can't do something.   

You are loving.  Even when you are already tired or want to play, if you see me laying down on the couch or the floor, you will always come and give me a hug and kiss.  You still love to hug and be held.  And there are four words that will instantly make me smile: "I love you, Mommy." 

You are extremely empathetic.  While you are not one to shy away from a harsh word or action, you are quick to commiserate with anyone that you feel is a little down.  Sometimes when you are mean and say "No No Mommy," I will pretend to cry.  Your whole demeanor changes and instantly you are by my side giving me a hug, a kiss, and a "What's wrong Mommy?"  It is incredible and sweet just like you.

You are a dancer.  Whenever you hear a "thumpin'" baseline, you start shaking your hips, bending your knees, and moving your head.  It is so adorable, and my iPhone is a catacomb of 20 second blurbs that pay homage to your dancing skills.

You love to be with me.  If I am cooking dinner, you stand by me and watch me stir the sauce.  If I am laying on the couch trying to watch TV, you are lying right on top of me with your head on my chest.  If I am trying to "sit on the throne," you are sitting on your princess potty right beside me.  As much as I try to not get aggravated by having you constantly underfoot, at times I fail.  Whenever that happens though, I try to count to ten and remind myself that very soon there will be a time when you will no longer want to be with me 24/7.  These are precious moments that I will strive to treasure.

You are a beacon of light in both of our miserable days.  When I get home from work and just don't feel like anything could make it better, you will smile, dance, or grab my face and plant kisses all over it.   In that moment, I let everything else go and remind myself that my job stays there and this is YOUR time.

You have a bit of a short fuse (understatement much).  One second you are laughing and playing with your dolls, and in the very next instant you are a ticking time-bomb ready to explode.  "No." That is the detonator word that sets the whole tumultuous stream of tears that flows until the situation is rectified to your satisfaction.  Your will is iron, and you will not be moved.  Compromising is not an option if something is not your idea.

I can't really remember what life was like before we had you because you have filled a hole in our lives that I didn't even really know was there.  All I know is that I cannot imagine you not being there with your dolls sitting on the couch watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.  I can't imagine laying down on the couch and not feeling your little body crawling up to snuggle next to me while we watch TV.  I can not imagine not seeing your little face light up with joy when you see me get there to pick you up from daycare.  You run across the playground screaming, "That's MY Mommy!  Hi Mommy! Let's go to Mommy's car!" and in that moment any stress from my day melts away. 

I hope that you will always be as funny, energetic, and full of life as you are now.
My dreams for you are as big as your emotions.  Some days as you dance around the living room doing stretches and toe touches, I think that you will become a ballerina.  When you are outside jumping on your "jumpaline" and start doing forward rolls, I think that perhaps you will be an Olympic gymnast.  When you are in the middle of a stubborn battle of the wills with me (complete with "No Mommy!"), I know in my heart that you will be a lawyer or a corporate negotiator because you already know how to win an argument and manipulate people's emotions.  Really time will only tell what all you will do, but I just want to make sure that we are doing our best to prepare you to be the best at whatever you choose.  I also hope that we are instilling honorable character traits like honesty, loyalty, integrity, and Christian values into your life.

So on your second birthday, I really want you to know how much I love you.  I love you more than Netflix or television.  I love you more than I love Internet shopping.  Some days I probably love you more than Daddy (but don't tell him!).  I love you more than life itself.  Forever and ever please just be my sweet, smart, and sassy little girl.  I will give you every opportunity that life has to offer.  I will hold your hand when something scares you.  I will be there whenever you need me.  All I ask is that you try to keep loving me and lighting up my days like you have done the past two years. 

With all my love,
Mommy

1 comment: